Building a cross platform game for desktop operating systems in Rust is fairly doable without needing much platform specific code. [Glutin] is a Rust alternative to SDL for handling window creation & input. [GFX] handles most of the graphics API abstraction for you. You still write the shaders, but I was able to just use OpenGL and get it working on Windows 10, MacOS, and Ubuntu.
Advent of Code is a yearly advent calendar of code challenges. The idea that you get a new code challenge from the 1st through 25th of December. Each day has a part one, and a part two. Part two builds on part one, and depending on how you solved part one it can be easy or hard to figure out. Advent of Code started in 2015, and has continued every year since. I’m still in progress on finishing 2018, but have completed the other three years.
This week I released Energy Grid. It’s out now for Windows, Mac, and Linux. You can find it here.
After my last update, I have since balanced a lot of the numbers, giving the player a choice in how to collect resources. Pollution in the game exists as a way to punish the player for building unclean energy gatherers. Pollution has been changed to be a tax percentage rather than a flat amount. Pollution as a flat amount could cripple the player at the start, and not matter later. Now it scales much better. This means that as your gatherers collect resources, and those resources are sold, pollution tax is deducted from that income as a percentage.
As i’ve been balancing the numbers for the game. I realized that the way to win was to tech up as fast as possible, and just put solar panels everywhere. This just didn’t have much in terms of strategy. I want the positioning of your gatherers to matter more. The simple way to do that is reduce the number of places you can build them.
Back in the fall I started on a roadmap for Energy Grid, to figure out where take it. The main components that I set to focus on was rendering the tech tree. This led me to having to build out a number of systems, which led me to new challenges such as font/text wrapping.
My last post on here was about an archery game I started. That’s still a game I want to build, but at the end of July I decided to participate in Ludum Dare. Knowing I could re-purpose components and systems I built for the archery game, I felt confident that I could do a game jam with Rust.
The past few months have been a fair bit of learning on doing graphics programming, and how to use some of the existing libraries with Rust. Now that I have some foundation, I’ve been able to start on actual logic needed for a game.
As the game gets closer to release, I’ve worked on a few skins that you’ll be able to purchase, and use to your heart’s content. I wanted to make some that were a bit out there, and out of place, to make things more fun.
The second item to create was of course a shield. As you buy them from the store, a shield button will appear for you to use. It gives you 3 hits of protection against hazards. Have a look!
Page: 1 of 2 Next